A Word From The Cook
“Orecchiette is one of my favorite pastas. When you're in the mood for a fresh, zesty, and truly delicious one plate meal, try this one!”
- 1 Pound Orecchiette pasta
- Olive Oil for pan
- 4 Chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
- Salt, Pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 1 Bunch fresh sage leaves
- 1 Pound fresh heirloom and grape tomatoes
- 2 Fresh zucchini
- 1 Fresh yellow squash
- 1 Cup niçoise or mixed pitted olives
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/4 Cup minced fresh chives
- 1/4 Cup rough chopped flat leaf parsley
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Step 1 – Bake Chicken and Boil Pasta
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken breasts on foil lined baking sheet. Rub chicken generously on both sides with olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- Bake chicken for 25 minutes - until cooked through.
- While chicken is baking, boil pasta until al dente (9 to 10 minutes). Drain pasta and return to hot pot. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Set aside.
- Step 2 – Rinse, Chop, and Prep Produce
- Cut stems off of sage leaves. Bring 3 tablespoons olive oil almost to smoking point in a small saute pan. Add sage leaves to oil and "fry" until crisp (20-30 seconds), but not brown. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Rinse, dry, and roughly chop parsley. Set aside.
- Finely chop chives. Add to parsley, and set aside.
- Rinse and cut tomatoes in half or quarters to depending on their size.
- Zest and juice 1 lemon - set aside.
- Slice zucchini and squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds with tip of a spoon, and cut into 1/8 inch slices. Heat large sauce pan over medium heat. Drizzle with olive oil until almost smoking, add zucchini and squash and stir fry until lightly browned (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat, drain on a paper towel, set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and use for Step 3.
- Step 3 – Make Brown Butter & Combine Ingredients
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat until almost browned. Add pasta to pan and toss to coat pasta with butter. Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Add olives, tomatoes, and squash to pan. Toss to coat and heat thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When chicken is done, remove from oven and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Plate pasta mixture. Top with several slices of chicken. Top with parsley/chive mixture.
- Add reserved sage leaves, lemon zest, and fresh lemon juice over dish before serving.
- Serve with Parrmigiano-Reggiano and red chile flakes.