A Word From The Cook
“Rum and butter is the key to this super Banana Bread recipe. Moist on the inside and buttery crisp on the outside!”
1 1/2 Hours
- 2 Cups unbleached flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup milk
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 Ripe bananas
- 8 Tablespoons butter (plus extra for the pan)
- 8 Tablespoons margarine (or butter if you prefer)
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons rum
- 2/3 Cup chopped walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips (optional)
- Step 1 – Prepare Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients – set aside.
- Mash 3 ripe bananas – set aside.
- Cut up one cube butter + one cube margarine into tablespoon sized pieces (smaller pieces will soften and combine easily) – set aside.
- Measure milk and add lemon juice to milk (milk will curdle).
- Grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan well with butter.
- Step 2 – Assemble Ingredients
- Combine and beat butter and margarine until light and creamy.
- Add sugar slowly and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time, and continue to beat until combined.
- Alternately add dry ingredients then milk mixture.
- Fold in bananas.
- Fold in 3T rum.
- Optional – add 2/3 cup either pecans, walnut or choc chips.
- Step 3 – Bake, Cool & Serve!
- Pour mixture into well buttered loaf pan 9x5x3.
- Bake on rack in lower third of oven.
- Check doneness at 55 minutes (tent with foil to keep from overcooking on outside – should be golden brown at first check point).
- Continue cooking for 10-15 more minutes, or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool another 10-15 minutes before slicing.