A Word From The Cook
“This Mac & Cheese pairs sweet carrots and savory herbs with rich aged cheeses to make a wonderful main or side dish!”
- 1 Box of pasta (we recommend Campanelle, but you can choose from a wide variety ….elbow, ziti, rotini and others)
- 3-4 Medium carrots trimmed and cut roughly
- 1 shallot
- 1 ½ Tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ½ Tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- For Topping:
- 1 Small clove garlic
- 2 Cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano
- For Cheese Sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ Cup all purpose flour
- 3 ½ Cups whole milk
- 1 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 Cups aged Cheddar cheese
- 2 Cups Gouda cheese
- Step 1 – Prepare Topping
- Put 2 cups of Panko in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Add dash each of salt and pepper.
- Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter with minced garlic clove.
- Pour butter mixture over Panko and cheese.
- Toss to coat Panko and cheese well.
- Set topping aside.
- Step 2 – Prepare Ingredients
- Boil pasta until al dente (one minute less than box instructions).
- Drain pasta and toss with a tablespoon olive oil – set aside.
- Steam roughly chopped carrots until softened (approx. 5 minutes) – add to drained pasta.
- Sauté chopped shallots in a tablespoon of olive oil, over medium low heat until caramelized – set aside.
- Finely mince 1 ½ tablespoon each of Thyme and Sage – set aside.
- Step 3 – Make Cheese Sauce, Mix and Bake!
- Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in heavy medium sized saucepan.
- Whisk ¼ cup flour into melted butter and continue whisking over medium low heat for 3 minutes while mixture gently bubbles.
- Slowly add milk, whisking continuously about 5-6 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Raise heat to medium to bring mixture to a strong simmer, and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally while mixture simmers and thickens for 10 more mins.
- Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheeses (5 cups total).
- Add shallots and fresh herbs, pinch of salt and pepper, plus nutmeg.
- Pour mixture over pasta and carrots – mix well.
- Spread Mac & Cheese evenly in a 9”x12” glass baking dish.
- Cover with Panko topping.
- Bake in hot 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes – Topping should be golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!