A Word From The Cook
“Are you looking for an easy recipe for caramel sauce that tastes as good as it looks? You found it!”
20 Minutes + 20 minutes to cool
Makes 3 cups Caramel Sauce
- 3 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 1 1/3 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- Optional - add 1/4 cup whiskey, rum or other flavor as desired
- Step 1 – Combine and Heat Sugar and Water
- In a heavy 8 cup saucepan, combine and heat sugar and water over medium low. Stirring only until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, remove wooden spoon and increase heat to medium high.
- Bring mixture to a boil while occasionally swirling the pan. Do not stir with a spoon.
- Continue to cook until mixture turns and amber color, and you begin to smell the sugar turning to caramel – about 8-10 minutes.
- Step 2 – Add Whipping Cream
- Remove pan from heat and add cream to caramel. It will bubble up, and steam so be careful to stand back slightly.
- Return pan to low heat and stir for a minute to dissolve any residual lumps.
- Step 3 – Add Butter and Flavoring
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and whiskey, rum or other flavorings.
- You can serve caramel warm, room temp or chilled.
- If using to frost a cake, let the caramel cool in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to avoid dripping.