A Word From The Cook
“Light dessert recipes like these Thumbprint Cookies are quick and easy to make.They're perfect vessels for chocolate, candy pieces, ganache, or jam filling.”
10 minutes per batch
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoons coarse salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 Cups sugar
- 2 Large egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 Teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup powdered sugar for rolling
- 10 Oz. or 40 Belgian Dark Chocolate Non-Pareils
- If you're a mint lover, replace vanilla with mint extract for mint chocolaty goodness!
- Step 1 – Prepare Cookie Dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt into a small bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium, and add yolks, cream, and vanilla – scraping sides as you mix.
- Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Step 2 – Roll and Bake
- Roll balls using 1/2 tablespoon sized scoops of dough for each.
- Roll each ball in powdered sugar.
- Place 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- With the handle of a wooden spoon, press gently in the center of each to create an indentation.
- Bake until set for about 10 minutes.
- Step 3 – Top with Non-Pareil Chocolates
- Remove baking sheet from oven.
- While cookies are still on baking sheet, place Non-Pareils directly on top of cookie, pressing gently to secure candy into middle of cookie.
- Let cool slightly on baking sheets.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool.
- Enjoy warm or completely cooled.