A Word From The Cook
“Torta Caprese is an Italian cake featuring chocolate and almonds, rather than flour. It’s rich, delicious, and gluten-free!”
- 9 Ounces dark chocolate (higher quality chocolate will result in better cake)
- 1 Cup butter
- ¼ Cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 1 ¼ Cup sugar
- 1 ½ Cups ground, blanched, toasted almonds
- 6 Large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/8 Cup powdered sugar (for top)
- Serve with freshly whipped cream
- Recipe requires a spring-form pan lined with parchment paper
Step 1 – Prepare Almonds
Toast blanched (skins removed) almonds on a foil lined baking sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let almonds cool.
Grind almonds finely in a food processor with metal blade.
Step 2 – Melt Chocolate and Combine Ingredients
Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
Using a standing mixer with whisk attachment, blend the melted chocolate mixture together with the cocoa powder, almond extract, and sugar until they are well combined.
Add the ground almonds and whisk until combined.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Step 3 – Bake, Cool and Serve with Vinsanto!
Pour the mixture into the parchment lined spring form pan.
Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Test for doneness with a toothpick that comes out clean – do not overcook.
Let cool completely before removing parchment.
Transfer to serving dish and dust generously with powdered sugar.
Serve with freshly whipped cream.