A Word From The Cook
“Lime & Cilantro add fragrant flavors to this fresh and zesty soup!”
- 3/4 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast(s) - cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove finely minced
- 1 Can black beans (15 oz)
- 1 Can white beans (15 oz.)
- 1 Quart chicken broth
- 3 Medium limes (2 peeled, seeded, and finely chopped) Slice one of the limes to use for garish when serving
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Green onions finely sliced
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle pepper
- 2 Cups tortilla chips (If you're gluten-free, be sure to get chips that say they're gluten-free on the label.
- 1/4 Cup Cotija cheese for garnish (Cotija cheese is a white, salty, crumbly Mexican cow's milk cheese).
Step 1 – Sauté Chicken
In a large non-stick pan, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 2 – lt;/strong>Sauté Veggies
In same pan, sauté the onion, jalapeño, and garlic, until softened.
Step 3 – Combine Ingredients and Simmer
Add chicken broth to pan along with all remaining ingredients, except green onions, cilantro and chicken. Bring to a boil.
Add chicken, cilantro, and green onions, then simmer for about 20 minutes, until everything is heated through.
Serve soup in individual bowls, over a handful of tortilla chips.
Garnish with a slice of lime, cilantro and Cotija cheese.