A Word From The Cook
“Roasted vegetables, goat cheese, and bacon go great together in a tart. If you don't have asparagus and leeks on hand. Use what you have and what you like!”
1 Hour and 15 Minutes or so
Cut tart into 8 slices
- For the Tart Crust
- Be sure to use a tart pan with removable bottom
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 egg
- For the filling
- 1 bunch asparagus (trim away woody ends and slice tips into inch sized bites)
- 1 Leek (halved lengthwise and thoroughly cleaned, then sliced thinly)
- 1 yukon gold potato (peeled and sliced)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 strips cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 Cup goat cheese (chèvre)
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- 3 Eggs
- Step 1 – Prepare the Tart Crust
- In a food processor, combine the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add butter (cut into 6 pieces) and pulse until dough resembles coarse grains of sand. Add in the egg and process until dough ball forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place the dough in a 9-inch tart pan by rolling dough over rolling pin and lifting it over tart pan (as shown above).
- Press dough into tart pan and remove any air bubbles. Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Proceed with filling in step 2 (no par-baking required).
- Step 2 –
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove from pan to drain. When cool, chop bacon coarsely.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Toss clean, cut vegetables (asparagus, leek, and potato) in a medium bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place in a single layer on baking sheet; roast, tossing a couple of times during roasting until onions begin to brown and asparagus is bright green and tender, 12-15 minutes. Remove vegetables from oven and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Combine cheese, cream and eggs in a medium bowl using an electric mixer until smooth . Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter and rosemary in a small pan over low heat.
- Step 3 –
- Remove tart from refrigerator.
- Baste bottom of tart with 1/2 of rosemary butter.
- Layer in crumbled bacon.
- Scatter roasted vegetables over bacon.
- Baste mixture with remaining rosemary butter.
- Pour cheese, cream, and egg mixture over the top.
- Bake tart until edges of crust are golden brown and filling is set about 20-25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes.
- Remove sides of pan. Serve tart warm or at room temperature.