A Word From The Cook
“Carrots, currents, toasted walnuts, and chives combine to make this a quick and light side salad. Vegetable salad recipes like this are perfect for picnics and potlucks.”
10 Minutes to prepare, plus 30 minutes to chill
- 5 Cups grated carrots
- 2 Cups chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1 Cup currants
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped chives
- Optional: 3/4 Cup finely chopped pineapple
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 Cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons walnut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 – Grate Carrots, Chop Chives, and Toast Walnuts
- Peel and grate carrots on the medium holes of a box grater.
- Finely chop fresh chives
- Toast walnuts at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until you start to smell them (don't over toast or blacken).
- If using pineapple, chop finely.
- Step 2 – Prepare Orange Juice Dressing
- Combine apple cider vinegar, honey, orange juice, and walnut oil.
- Whisk vigorously to combine thoroughly.
- Step 3 – Toss & Chill
- Combine Ingredients in medium sized mixing bowl, and add dressing. Toss to wet all ingredients.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill, and transfer to serving bowl when you serve.