1 Hour 45 Minutes
Makes about 40
- 1 16-Ounce jar grape leaves
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for drizzling
- 4 Scallions, minced
- ⅓ Cup fresh mint, minced
- ⅓ Cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3 Cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 Cups hot water
- Juice of 1 lemon (approx. 3 tbsp)
- Step 1 – Rinse and Separate Grape Leaves
- Drain grape leaves, then place them in a large bowl of cold water and soak for 5-10 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Trim away any thick ribs.
- Stack the leaves shiny side down into piles.
- Step 2 – Prepare Filling
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the scallions, mint, and parsley; sauté for 2 minutes or until the scallions are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir-fry in the sautéed vegetables and herbs for 1 minute.
- Add the water, salt, pepper, and lemon zest; stir to mix.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the rice has softened and plumped. Remove from heat, uncover and allow to cool.
- Step 3 – Roll, Steam, and Serve
- When the rice has cooled enough to handle, spoon about 2 teaspoons on each grape leaf (don’t over stuff); fold the sides of each leaf over the filling and then roll it from the bottom to the top.
- Repeat with each leaf. Try to roll each leaf neatly so the stuffing doesn’t fall out.
- Use a few torn leaves to cover the bottom of a heavy pot. Place the stuffed dolmades into the pot in concentric circles, starting on the outside.
- Make a second layer if necessary.
- Pour the hot water and lemon juice over the dolmades. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Place a snug fitting up-turned plate over the top of the dolmades to keep them submerged.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let them rest for 10 minutes or so before serving.
- Serve with Avgolemono Sauce (Greek Egg-Lemon Sauce)!
- Find more of our Mediterranean Menu Dinner Party recipes you can make and share with your friends!