A Word From The Cook
“This shrimp recipe, courtesy of Angela Shen, CEO of Savor Seattle Tours is featured on her Kayak Tour! Now that’s a spicy shrimp and lemongrass meatball!”
- 1 Pound uncooked shrimp meat (patted dry)
- 1 Lemongrass stalk, bottom 5 inches only, smashed with rolling pin, then roughly chopped
- ¼ Cup shallots (1 med-large shallot)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- ½ Teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemongrass roughly chopped
- ¼ Cup fresh lime juice (1 ½ limes)
- 1/6 Cup fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon minced serrano chile w/seeds
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ Heads of red leaf or green leaf lettuce
- 3 Carrots, julienned
- 2 Cups of bean sprouts
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Step 1 – Cut, Chop, and Julienne the Veggies
- Cut bottom 3 inches from lemongrass.
- Smash lemongrass with rolling pin, then mince.
- Julienne* the carrots (or use rough cut side of grater).
- Rinse and tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the cucumber thinly.
- Chop the fresh cilantro finely.
- Mince serrano chile (retain seeds).
- Step 2 – Prepare Shrimp Meatballs
- In food processor, combine 1 stalk minced lemongrass, ¼ cup shallots, 2T cilantro, 2T fish sauce, 2 garlic cloves, 1T vegetable oil, 1teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon each of white pepper and salt, and pulse until paste forms.
- Add raw shrimp and pulse to blend.
- Use rubber gloves to shape mixture into 28 balls (each slightly smaller than 1T).
- Place balls on aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Heat 2T oil in large skillet over medium heat and add meatballs when hot.
- Brown on each side until cooked through, turning regularly, about 6-8 minutes total.
- Step 3 – Make Dressing, Toss and Serve!
- Combine 1T lemongrass, ¼ cup lime juice, 1/6th cup fish sauce, 2T fresh chopped cilantro, 3T brown sugar, 2T oil, and 1 teaspoon minced chile to bowl; whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Arrange lettuce in bowls and top with carrots, cucumbers, and sprouts.
- Cut meatballs in half and top each bowl with 8 meatball halves.
- Drizzle dressing over salad.